Types of Tea: When Should I Drink Green Tea, Oolong Tea or Black Tea?

New to Tea or Self-Proclaimed Expert; when should you be drinking green, oolong or black tea?

12 Types of Tea Sampler Pack, I very highly recommend if wanting to learn more, try new and experiment.

Favorites 12-Variety Loose Leaf Tea Sampler with Green, Black, Oolong, and Pu-erh Loose Tea Assortment (12-tin Variety Pack); Makes 250+ Cups of Tea

Green:

• Usually the lowest caffeine
  • Most mild, sometimes sweet
  • The All Day Drink

Oolong:

• Mid-range to varying caffeine
  • Mild and sweet
  • Floral and aromatic
  • Afternoon to early evening tea

Black:

• Most / Highest caffeine
  • Generally bold flavor
  • Strong infusions
  • Morning / “Wake Me Up”
  • Too much caffeine for bed and night time

Green Tea

I, personally, treat green tea as my “anytime and anywhere” tea. Pretty there’s a pretty good range of green teas, especially across Japanese and Chinese tea culture. Think Japanese Matcha and Sencha vs Chinese Longjing and Gunpowder.

If performing multiple infusions like a Gongfu tea ceremony, you’ll notice the evolution of flavor and aroma from sweet green to a smooth yellow.

Organic Matcha Green Tea Powder, Japanese Premium Culinary Grade, Unsweetened & Sugar Free – USDA & Vegan Certified – 100g (3.52 oz) – Perfect for Baking, Smoothies, Latte, Iced tea & Weight Loss.

Oolong Tea ( qingcha tea)

Oolong is my favorite tea because of the versatility. Widely regarded as an “inbetween tea“, Oolong has both properties of Green and Black because it is only partially oxidized.

The flavors and aromas of oolong are generally very floral; reminding me of walking through a flower garden on a crisp, warm day.

Most commonly used in the Chinese tea ritual ceremony known as Gongfu, oolong is a another tea I can drink from sun up until about early evening; the only thing lacking here is caffeine content is you use tea as your morning beverage.

Though caffeine isn’t the only source of energy; oolong teas tend to contain a great amount of Polyphenols.

Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea – Iron Goddess of Mercy – Net Wt. 5.3oz.

Black Tea

This variety of tea is also incredibly vast in nature; containing the most amount of coffee and bold flavor, black teas are my general “Wake Me Up” teas due to their caffeine content.

Though I prefer my dark roasts and espressos in the Coffee Universe, I usually tend to stray away from black teas. I find this tea the easiest the prepare incorrectly; it is very easy to steep for too long, recently in a bitter flavor.

Black teas are bold, sometimes earthy; you can really taste the influence of the soil.

Prince of Peace Tea, Black, 100 Count

27 Comments Add yours

1. Priya says:

All the tea! I love tea! Cool info – a lot of which I didn’t know. I probably make tea incorrectly all the time!

Liked by 2 people

1. It’s not that hard to make great tasting tea! but it’s also not difficult to mess it up. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Alexandra says:

Heard of green tea, but never heard of black and oolong tea. Will definitely see if they stock them next time I got shopping.

Liked by 1 person

1. I highly recommend oolong tea if you’re familiar with green! It’s the next step up from green; very floral and flower notes!

3. I love my black tea, but I need to make the switch to green tea.

Liked by 1 person

1. Green tea is a great tea to drink all day long; you won’t get that crash unless you’re drinking too much of japanese matcha; a very energizing tea.

4. I like black and green tea, but I have to admit I didn’t know of Oolong. I also didn’t know that different teas have varying levels of caffiene either, thank you for sharing this with us!

Liked by 2 people

1. Oolong is a personal favorite of mine. With health benefits of both black and green, it has an awesome very floral aroma and flavor to it.

5. homeboundbuthopeful says:

I’m not really a big tea drinker, so I have to admit, I didn’t even know the differences between the major types until reading this article. Thanks for helping me learn something new today!

Liked by 2 people

1. My pleasure! If you’re more of a coffee drinker, you should try some Pu’erh Tea, not mentioned in this article, but my coffee drinkers find it very enjoyable.

6. There are time when certain teas should not be consumed. Because of caffeine contained in them teas like green tea or black tea, also oolong since it has the properties of both black and green, should not be consumed at late hour late or before bed. At least that is my experience with them

Liked by 2 people

1. Completely agree! This is my thought process as well; unless you have some exceptional caffeine tolerance.

7. Lindsay says:

Black tea is my favorite and I drink decaf at night.

8. Great information. I am a very big fan of green tea. I also love black tea.

Liked by 1 person

9. Joscelyn says:

I love tea and that blooming tea is just gorgeous! Green tea is probably my fave, followed by English Breakfast!

10. Thanks for sharing this info Stephen. Quite a learning for me. I used to drink regular tea but now since the past year start my day with green tea.

Liked by 2 people

1. For greens, I’d recommend Matcha or Sencha if you’re looking to try some new ones!

Liked by 1 person

11. Thanks for the recommendation. Will try it out👍

Liked by 1 person

12. Can’t beat a cup of tea!

Liked by 1 person

13. robgradens says:

Is drinking tea a mental/emotional discipline thing? I’m an alcoholic with the hand-to-mouth habit. Usually I need to slow down rather than hyper up. Things might be different now, though. Thanks for the like.

Liked by 1 person

1. Green, Oolong and Black tea are very relaxing. The caffeine in coffee is what usually makes me uncomfortably “up”

Liked by 1 person

1. robgradens says:

Tea in the past has made me feel paranoid, actually. But that was when I did both tea and alcohol in the same day. I quit drinking on 9/12, so I think tea’s worth another try. I remember when I enjoyed it, esp the taste of good old Lipton black tea.

14. gwennonr says:

Lovely information. Thank you for making it available.

Liked by 1 person

1. a lot of people drinking tea that isn’t giving them the boost they need when they need it!

Liked by 1 person

15. gwennonr says:

Isn’t that the truth!

16. Teabeau says:

I have never heard of this, but it sounds fun.