Coffee Before Bed: Should You Drink At Night Around Bedtime?

Coffee’s caffeine is famous for its ability to wake us up and clear our minds but does it help us sleep?

If you grew up in an Italian family like myself, you’d be accustomed to the traditional after dinner espresso; a drink I’ve always treated as a bit of a Russian Roulette.

Will my night time cup keep me from falling asleep or help me dream tonight?

It’s a bit of a gamble, I’ll be honest; but with a bit of personal exploration and bedtime experimentation, we can at least make progress toward the truth.

Definitely don’t try to see how coffee affects you at night with the World’s Strongest Coffee Death Wish Ground Coffee, The World’s Strongest Coffee, Fair Trade and USDA Certified Organic, 16 Ounce

Everyone’s body is different; therefor making this a bit of a fun journey into who we are.

Consider the prescription of drugs for those experiencing Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and ADHD (Hyperactivity). Adderall, is one of the most widely known stimulants prescribed for these disorders.

But how does a stimulant, something you’d imagine to make you hyperactivity and unfocused, actually help calm those effected?

We’ll leave the neuroscience and brain biochemistry to the scientists but I believe caffeine and coffee’s ability to help or hinder your sleep is dependent on where you fall on this ADD spectrum.

Of course a self-diagnosis holds no weight, but it’s worth the bedtime coffee indulgence at Starbucks.

My last option here is always decaffeinated coffee, which I use as a sort of placebo; telling myself it’s regular coffee — that I will be as productive and focused as I usually am on my favorite brew.

Never underestimate the power of attitude going into a situation. You’re more often than not your own worst enemy.

21 Comments Add yours

1. I’m a huge fan of coffee, but if I drink it too late, I can’t fall asleep. I usually drink a cup or two a day, but if I drink it after 7 PM, I’m feel like I’ll never fall asleep.

Liked by 1 person

1. After 7pm is definitely a huge danger zone for me as well. Lately I’ve been drinking some low caffeine green teas around evening time!

2. I’m a huge coffee drinker, but I usually don’t drink any past 11am. By then I’m ready for my water and I’m pretty awake by then too. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. When I drink coffee, I usually have my morning cup and another around 1-3pm. Nothing as refreshing as a fresh glass of water though!

3. Esse D says:

This is an interesting concept. While I don’t drink coffee I’ve definitely heard that you shouldn’t drink it before bed. You’ve introduced an interesting concept of basing it on where you land on the ADD spectrum. The nerd in me wants to conduct a survey.

Liked by 1 person

1. The coffee vs ADD and/or ADHD spectrum was definitely an interesting concept for me to explore! I’m collecting some anecdotal research on the topic.

4. Colleen Bijl says:

I always have a cup of decaf around 8 pm which is about 2 hours before bed. Sometime I think it still affects me but not as much as if I had a regular cup. For Decaf I usually buy Nabob or Tim Hortons and they are both fairly good coffee even decaf.

Liked by 1 person

1. Decaf isn’t 100% without caffeine, but its trace amounts and very negligible. I think it’s all placebo; like your brain saying “hey this is coffee, I should be feeling the caffeine”.

5. Shell says:

I’m more of a tea drinker than coffee but if I have anything with caffeine even 4 hours before bedtime I have so much trouble getting to sleep…

Liked by 1 person

1. Agree with you so much. I’ll get terrible anxiety at night. Melatonin comes out when its dark; making you more sleepy. If you try to drink coffee while its dark, then you’re just giving your a brain a difficult time!

6. colossalumbrella says:

I like coffee sometimes just one hour before bedtime after dinner….If I am too tired then it doesn’t really bother me.

Liked by 1 person

1. You’re very luckly. For whatever reason, I’m terribly sensitive to caffeine after a certain hour near evening.

7. Juliana Tomasek says:

While I do love a good cup of coffee, the caffeine really keeps it out of my cup after noon. Then I switch to Herbal tea

8. gloriagordon says:

I’ve never been a fan of coffee but I love drinking my green tea morning, noon and night!

9. janiceruste says:

My hubby doesn’t seem to be bothered by coffee. I, on the other hand, can’t sleep when I’ve had too much! I shake uncontrollably when I have a venti matcha latte from Starbucks!

10. well, to be honest, I really think that the affect of drinking coffee very late in a day is totally depending of our metabolism…for my exemple, I’m of turkish origins and we also have a very strong little coffee, I can drink it in the night without any difficukty to fall asleep. Commonly I drink my last coffee just before going at bed and I never had any problem!

Liked by 1 person

1. Metabolism, haven’t thought of that. Though, I do love turkish coffee!

11. Nita says:

I don’t really drink coffee, but have always heard people say not to drink it because it would keep you awake. Which puzzles me, because they always offer after dinner coffee, isn’t that too close to bedtime?

12. Magen Golden says:

I only drink coffee at night. I don’t know what the appeal of drinking something hot so late at night, but I have a hard time resisting it.

13. Well i have fallen into habit of coffee drinking for appetite control, however, I would not dare take coffee before bedtime. My experience is that coffee chases sleep away as when I was studying coffee is what I relied on to keep me awake.

14. illy is my favorite – learned to drink espresso from my Italian friends